Friday, June 25, 2010

New York State License Plates

This is a bit of old news, but I figured this is the best place to write about them.

New York state license plates. This is what I am used to:



And this is what I have been noticing, to my dismay:


I am thinking, "Why?" Who in the government is responsible for approving that this orange-y yellow is a good idea to put on cars? They went from "Empire Blue" to "Empire Gold". Why the gold?

I liked the white and blue colors of the new plates because it gave it a crisp and cool look. It looked clean. At the same time, it depicts Niagara Falls, the Adirondack Mountains, and the skyline of Manhattan, so it represents the various areas of New York.

The new plates, on the other hand, took away those images and only kept the silhouette of New York State. So right away the identity is gone. Then we have the strange yellow color. The image above I think is actually brighter than the what the actual plates are like. In addition, the yellow tends to clash with the color of the cars. I find that very distracting.

When my family received a letter a few weeks ago about the new license plates, it stated that we had to pay to get the new plates. We all scoffed and tossed it into the garbage. We will be holding on to our Empire Blue for as long as we possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment